DVRP-8GM made in
|Quick Search #481
click image to enlarge
- Built-in 8GB memory (8GB optional).
- Camera: 5th Gen. 2MP CMOS
- Selectable recorder resolution: 320x240, 640x480 & 1024X768
- Frame rate: 20f/s
- Low light capable.
- Still picture capability.
- PC compatible
- External battery available for long lasting power (12 ~ 60 hours)
If you are looking for a 8GB Pen Camera, we have it! It uses a color camera. The maximum memory allowed for this device is 8Gb. It saves your recordings at the rate of 3 gb per hour (1024 x 768 mode). Motion activated recording is possible with this unit. Videos made from this item are saved in a avi video format. Audio capture is also another bonus of this unit. The battery life of this unit is estimated at (internal batt: 1.3 hrs) (4aa external: 10+ hrs) (4aa external lithium: 50+ hrs).
Are you interested in this 8GB Pen Camera / Body Worn Camera but not sure what's required for setup, how it works or you just have a general inquiry? Chat with one of our Body Worn Camera Specialists.
To place order by phone, please call us at 1-845-369-1777
Business Hours: Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm ET
Your purchase will be confidential and shipped in discrete packaging without our company name.
The charge will appear on your credit card statement as "SCS Enterprises, Inc."
- Sensor: CMOS 2M Pixel
- Sensor Mode: Color
- Sensor Size: 1/4
- Sensitivity: 1 lux
- Lens Type: Pinhole
- Focal Length: 5.5 mm
- Viewing Angle: 65 Deg. Horiz.
- Optional Lens: No
- Max Video Rec Quality: 1024 X 768
- Max Video Rec Speed: 20 f/s
- Memory Type: Flash (Permanent)
- Max Memory: 8 Gb
- Memory Usage: 3 GB per hour (1024 x 768 mode)
- Motion Detection Rec: Yes
- Time Stamp: Yes
- Video Format: AVI
- Compatibility: PC & Mac
- Audio: Yes
- Power Rating: 3.3V
- Power Type: Internal & External Batt
- Batt Type: Lithium Ion
- Batt Life: (Internal batt: 1.3 hrs) (4AA external: 10+ hrs) (4AA external lithium: 50+ hrs) hour
- Dim (Length): 5.5 "
- Dim (Diameter): 0.61 "
- Special #1: Still picture capable
- Special #2: Motion detection
- Special #3: External battery
- Special #4: PC Web Camera
- Housing material: Metal
- Included Items: Metal Case
Q&A: Have a specific question about this 8GB Pen Camera? click here.
- Can the external power source be used to charge the pen camera, dvrp-4gm & dvrp-8gm?
- The battery holder is sold separate: P-6AAUSB
While plugged, will charge the camera.
- How do you take a still shot with a pen camera.
- You will first set the pen camera in a still shot mode (only available in certain models).
You now can press the button on the top to take the picture. Still shot has no automatic control, all manual.
- How does motion detection recording work for DVRP-4GM & DVRP-8GM pen camera?
- Not only the camera can record continuously for body worn applications, it can also detect pixel movement and start recording upon motion sensing. When there is no movement for 3 minutes straight, it'll pause and wait for the next trigger. This feature is useful when you are covering an area for a long period of time (pen needs to be in static position). You can power the camera with the optional 4AA battery holder to make it last 12 hours or more (standby mode does not save power).
Also motion sensitivity & extra motion record time is adjustable.
- How does the button for the pen camera DVRP-4GA & DVRP-4(8)GM control the pen camera for recording?
- For these models, recording control is simple. When you turn on the camera, it'll start to record automatically, then by pressing the button again you can pause to record and start recording again.
- Is there any way to disable audio recording and just get a video recording with this camera?
- The microphone for the camera is permanently built-in but you can rip the audio recording off from the video using:
- What is the best way to engage the motion detection mode for the pen camera.
- - Turn the power on, blue light will be on. (booting mode)
- Wait until the blinking green light. (recording mode)
- Press the button once to stop recording. The light will turn solid blue (standby mode)
- Rapidly press the button 4 times (within 1~2 sec)
- Both blue light & green light will blink (motion detection recording mode)
- Where is the lens located on a pen camera?
- Pinhole lens is located right over the clip and it will face forward as you wear the pen on your front shirt pocket.
Q&A: SPY PEN AND MORE
- Can a pen camera or alike detect motion and record?
- Recording method for pen cameras are manual & continuous, except for our new DVRP-4GM, DVRP-8GM which can detect motion and record. Also we do carry other mini cameras that can detect motion at: Motion Detection Camera & Economical Motion Recording Cameras
- Can a pen camera or alike focus automatically?
- Pen cameras or alike, are equipped with fixed focus lens. It has focusing range of 1 ft to infinity. However since there are no macro focus control, as the object gets closer to the pen camera from 1 ft, the video will become more blurry.
- Can a pen camera or alike, record while charging or plugged in to a power adapter?
- Most pen cameras only records using its built-in battery (1.2 hours) or external auxiliary battery (12 hours or more, only on certain model: DVRP-4GM, DVRP-8GM)
However we do carry other mini cameras that can record with a plug-in power at: Hidden Spy Cameras & Economical
- Can the pen camera or alike work in a very low light?
- No, all these types of cameras have to use CMOS chip that works with less battery power consumption. The draw back is light sensitivity. [e.g.: (Restaurant: Yes), (Bar: Maybe), (Movie theater: No)] However, so far, best pen camera at low light camera is DVRP-4GM, DVRP-8GM which can also detect motion and record.
- Do you have a pen camera that the time stamp can be turned off?
- Only DVRP-4G has ON/OFF option for time stamp.
- Does a pen camera work with a mac?
- Yes, pen cameras such as DVRP-4G, DVRP-4GA & DVRP-4GM will work with a mac and will recognize as a removable drive. However, there were some issues with file structure being corrupted, if so, you will need to format the pen drive with a PC.
- Does the pen actually write?
- Yes. It is fully functional writing black ink pen.
- How can I reset the camera when it freeze?
- If the camera freeze or malfunction, you will need to reset the camera. There are 2 holes on the back of the camera. One on the top is the light indicator and the other at the bottom is where the reset button is located. You will need to insert a small paper clip to press the button while the camera is “ON”. If the camera will not turn on at all, reset the camera when the camera is plugged in to a PC.
Please insert the clip straight in and slowly so it does not damage any other component.
- How can I view the recording from a pen camera or alike?
- When you plug in the pen camera to the USB port on your PC, it'll be recognized it as an external memory device. Find the video file and play back with a media player. You can also copy, move or delete the file. We recommend using VLC Player for playback.
- How do you adjust the time for a pen camera or alike?
- You can set the time and date have it show on the playback.
Here is an example for one of our pen camera (DVRP-4GA):
1. Open ‘notepad’ or ‘wordpad’ program. Write numbers that represent the time and date. You must use all 14 digits & use military time format.
Example: 20080929100828 would be:
2008(year) 09(month) 29(day) 10(hour) 08(minute) 28(second)
2. Save the txt file as: time (extension: txt)
3. Plug the Pen camera to your PC, Copy the "time.txt" file to the root folder of the pen camera.
4. Remove the pen camera from your computer, turn the power off, then turn the power back on, the time is now set. (if you are successful, the time.txt file will disappear)
- How do you clear up the memory in a pen (or like) camera?
- Please connect the camera to your PC. Your PC will recognize as an external memory device. Right click on the drive then click on 'property' to see how much memory you have used. If most of the memory is used up, you will need to erase some video files to clear up the memory, otherwise, the camera will shut down after few seconds.
- How do you find the drive for the pen camera or alike, once connected to the PC?
- When you connect the pen camera to your PC, the pen camera will be recognized as a removable storage device. If the camera is not detected automatically, please use "Windows Explorer" (window key + "E") to find the drive.
- How does digital motion detection recording work?
- Digital motion detection is a feature for many self recording all-in-one cameras, DVRs and recording software. It senses video pixel movement to trigger the recording, thus saving memory and time when you review the video. Therefore, you only need opening for the lens of the camera to detect motion. When motion is no longer detected for a certain time (programmable) it will stop to record and wait for the next trigger. However, it will not save the power, if battery powered, since both the camera & DVR has to be 'ON' in order to detect motion.
- How long does the battery last on a pen camera or alike?
- Depending on the model, a pen camera will last 40min ~ 1.3 hours on a full charge. You can also use the auxiliary battery holder to make it last more than 12 hours (compatible only with certain models: DVRP-4GM, DVRP-8GM).
- if i run the camera until the internal battery becomes deplete, will the video still be there?
- Yes, the camera will save right before it shuts down.
- Is internal rechargeable battery for the pen camera replaceable?
- Internal battery is replaceable but you have to send it in for us to change. However you can recharge the battery over 1000 times.
- Is your Pen Camera different than others?
- Yes, they all look the same since the pen housing is bought from a housing manufacturer, but what each companies put inside is different.
- What is the battery life on standby and recording mode for pen cameras or alike?
- Since the camera and the recording module is on all the time regardless, the battery life is about the same between tho two modes.
- What is the best way to access the video files on my PC?
- Hold down to the windows key (located between Ctrl & Alt) and hit E key once. It'll bring up my computer screen, within, you will see the drive for the camera.
- Would the flashing recording light indicator be seen by others?
- When you wear the pen camera on your shirt, the recessed blinking light will face towards you so others can not see it. In low light, the light might reflect off your shirt so cover it with a small piece of, for example, electrical tape.
Q&A: BODY WORN CAMERA
- Are the sample videos true representation of a camera quality?
- Yes, and since we had to convert the original video to a format viewable for everyone (flash), the video quality of the actual camera would be about 10% better.
- Can you recommend a good media player to playback videos taken by your all-in-one camera?
- Many times, Windows Media Player will not play the video because it might not have a proper codec installed. We recommend the following player.
Please download VLC Player
- Do you have any camera which can record text from computer screen?
- There is no high enough resolution camera that can capture standard 10~12 pt size text from a computer monitor at once. You will need to scan section by section from about 12" or less from the screen. You can use any cameras such as a pen camera.
- Does a bodyworn camera make any noise?
- No, pen cameras or any other portable digital recording devices does not make any noises.
- Does all-in-one cameras have a cooling fan and does it make any noise when recording?
- No cooling fan, absolutely silent while recording.
- Does motion detection recording mode extend its battery life?
- A DVR can record upon motion. DVR senses pixel movement of the video signal from the camera.. However Since the camera and the DVR has to be on all the time, it will not extend the battery life at standby mode.
However Unlike other camera with DVR, Camball takes one still shot every three seconds and compares it with the previous shot. If there is any difference between the two shots, Camball recognize it as a motion and start to record for 2 minutes. If there is no motion during the 2 minutes, Camball goes to sleep. While it sleeps, the still shots are taken every three seconds, thus saving battery life up to 40 hrs.
Also cameras that can record upon sound activation such as Sound Activated Hidden Camera can last up to 250 hours on standby.
- How does motion detection recording work?
- DVR senses pixel movement of the video signal from the camera. Since you can have the DVR record only upon motion, you can extend the recording time period which it is intended to cover. Each 1GB of memory will record up to 2.5 total hours of video.. However Since the camera and the DVR has to be on all the time, it will not extend the battery life. Typically, 1GB of memory will record up to 2.5 total hours of video.
Also, you can configure to eliminate certain areas of the picture from motion detection. Example would be deactivating lower 1/5 of the screen that would not capture creatures that enter only that part of the image.
Motion detection sensitivity is adjustable as well.
- Is there a body worn camera for a child?
- We do get a lot of inquiries but there are no ideal system for a body worn camera system for a child. Since there are components that needs to be mounted and would be to cumbersome and heavy for a child to wear. We do have a small pen like cameras but battery will not last long enough and the operation would be too difficult for a child to turn it on at the right moment . Best alternative would be just placing a small voice recorder.
- Is there a camera that I can hide in a diaper bag that can watch my infant with an outside sitter.
- Unfortunately, video recording would be too difficult for the application. Audio might be much easier. We do have a small pen like cameras but battery will not last long enough and the operation would be too difficult for a child to turn it on at the right moment . Besides the camera will most like be looking at a wrong direction. We recommend for you to get a micro voice recorder and hide in the dipper bag.
- Is there a way to duplicate the video on the pc without the audio?
- Use VirtualDub (http://www.spycameras.com/resources/VirtualDub-1.9.7.zip) and do the following
1. Open VirtualDub and load your file
2. Audio=> No Audio
3. Audio=> Direct Stream Copy
4. Video=>Direct Stream Copy
5. File=>Save=> select avi and enter the filename
- What is the best way to record a document and be able to read 10 to 12pt font size?
- No matter the resolution of a camera, the recording resolution of a video recorder is limited to 640 X 480 pixels. Therefore, you cannot capture the whole document at once, (it would be possible with a 5M pixel digital snap picture camera but there are none available in covert format in the market yet) rather, you will need to scan the document from top to bottom. We do recommend a pen camera since you can hold it in your hand to do so. Please see a video demo at: PEN CAMERA VIDEO
- Why don't you post samples videos for all other cameras?
- Video quality of a camera really depends on the recorder that is connected to. Also, since cameras are analog, it need to be converted to digital format to post on the web, loosing resolution in the process. That is why we only have sample videos for "all in one system" that has a built-in digital recorder.
GENERAL QUESTIONS ON CAMERAS
- Can a camera see in total dark?
- Cameras can not see in total darkness. You will need IR illuminators either built around the camera lens or as a separate lighting source (only for a B/W camera or a D/N camera). We do carry cameras that works in very low light conditions. Lower the lux rating, better it is under low light.
- Do your cameras work with different voltage for other countries?
- Most of our cameras come with a power adapter that can handle form 110V ~240V AC. In case you get a camera with direct AC plug-in such as clock radio camera we will include the 220V to 110V (60Hz) step-down converter. However, if your country uses 50Hz, the time on the clock, because it is digital, will not be correct (it will be off about 20 min a day)
- How does a camera adjust to different lighting level?
- Every camera has auto electronic iris built-in. Unlike a human iris or other camera, there is no mechanical diaphragm that controls light intake, rather shutter speed changes automatically. Level of adjustment is very wide from low light to very bright light. You can actually place the camera an inch away from a lit 100W light bulb and still be able to read clearly the label on the bulb.
- How does a camera work with a bright spot lighting source.
- All cameras come with auto-electronic iris control. In a case in low light the iris will open up and brighten the picture automatically (however limited to its lux rating)As long as the camera is not facing directly toward a light source in low light, it'll be OK. However if a light source would be on the screen, the iris will close thus darkening the picture of the surrounding.
- How far or how much can you see with a camera?
- Cameras can see Infinite, therefore It all depends on the size of the object. Wider the angle of the lens, smaller it will appear but area coverage will be greater. You can not have both zoomed in view and cover wide area. Most of our cameras come standard with wide angle lens (75 deg horiz) that will cover the whole room if placed at the corner looking towards the center of the room.
Try our CCD Lens Calculator for more information.
- How much of a room can a camera view?
- Most of our cameras come with around 4mm lens providing 75 deg in horizontal angle (for 1.3" CCD). That means if the camera is placed at the corner looking towards the center of the room, it'll cover most of the room regardless of its size.
Also all camera lenses are fixed focus and will focus to an object from about 2 ft away to infinity.